Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
The Official Home of Massachusetts Maritime Athletics

Mass Maritime Sinks Mariners in Buzzards Bay

Mass Maritime Sinks Mariners in Buzzards Bay

BUZZARDS BAY, Mass – The Buccaneers men's lacrosse team played host to the Maine Maritime Mariners Saturday morning at Clean Harbors Stadium in what was Maine's season opener. Following their 14-11 loss to Eastern Connecticut on Thursday, the Buccaneers picked up a big, 19-3, victory over Maine.

The Buccaneers were led offensively by Ted Powers (Marshfield, Mass) who scored five goals on six shots on target and assisted on three other scores. Coming in behind Powers with four goals was Benjamin Avakian (Bourne, Mass). Avakian also added an assist. Also scoring multiple goals in the game for Mass Maritime were Alexandre Lucas (Walpole, Mass) with three, and Michael O'Brien (Marshfield, Mass), netting two goals. Defensively, the Buccaneers caused 13 turnovers in the game, three of which were caused by Andrew Cook (Quincy, Mass). Head coach, Rick Bagby used three goalies in the game, starting with Michael Dolan (McLean, Va) who saved both of the shots he faced and earned the win in the game. Sam Lyons (Pocasset, Mass) relieved Dolan, first for a penalty early in the game and then again in the second quarter. Lyon faces five shots, saved two and allowed the three Maine goals. Freshman Viktor Wright (Plymouth, Mass) finished the game in net facing no shots.

Maine Maritime had three different goal scorers in the game, Bailey Stockford (Mt. Vernon, Maine), Nathan Granholm (Brunswick, Maine), and Zeke Tocci (Naples, Maine). Alex Snowman (Sarasota, Fla) picked up the only assist in the game for the Mariners. Starting goalie Matthew Emery (St. Johnsbury, Vt) recorded the loss in the game. He faced 22 shots, making nine saves. In the second half, Verne Rice (Stratham, N.H.) came in to play the second half and saw 16 Buc shots and made 10 saves.

Through the first and second quarters of the game the Buccaneers went on a 12-goal unanswered run. Powers opened the scoring for the Bucs with just 31 seconds gone in the game. Avakian scored three goals in a row late in the first quarter. In the second quarter, the Mariners broke the clean sheet on Tocci's goal, a man-up, with six minute remaining in the half. At the half, the teams went in to the locker room with the Bucs leading, 13-1.

In the second half, the Mariners only allowed six additional Buccaneer goals and picked up a bit of momentum midway through the third quarter scoring back-to-back goals making the score 15-3 at the time. Going in to the fourth quarter, 18-3, The Buccaneers scored their 19th and final goal with 6:41 remaining on a man-up goal from Powers. When the clock hit triple zeros, the Bucs left the field with their first win of the season, 19-3.

Next up for the Buccaneers is a non-conference showdown with Norwich University on Thursday, March 14th at 7pm at Clean Harbors Stadium.

Mass. Maritime Buccaneers101 Academy Drive. Buzzards Bay, MA 02532508-830-5049 Privacy Policy